Sunday, August 5, 2012

Review of The Antioxidant Miracle (Packer & Colman): It Really Works!

I was sceptical of quackery when my Mama put this book in front of me and encouraged me to read it. Anytime anything proclaims 'Miracle', cynicism is aroused in me. Being the dutiful daughter, I promised Ma that I would review it for her. And I ended up a convert.
Quack alert?

Folks, this book is the real deal. Dr Lester Packer is not a medical doctor (MD). He is an extremely well-respected PhD researcher with hundreds of peer-reviewed publications under his belt. And his field of research is antioxidants. Specifically, how antioxidants combat free radicals at the cellular level and how their actions measurably decrease, even reverse aging and the progression of all sorts of diseases. His claims of 'miracle' may be off-putting to some, but are solidly backed up by the hundreds of research studies that he and his team at the University of California at Berkeley conducted over the past four decades.

Being a PhD myself (albeit in entomology), I can really appreciate how well this book is written. He takes scientific data and results, which are often difficult to understand and yawn-inducing, and presented them in a lay-person-friendly, easy to understand book. Quite the page-turner. After having convincingly made the case for antioxidants, he then prescribes the simple and easy-to-follow Packer Antioxidant Regimen (Packer Plan) to readers.

The Regimen involves supplementing with alpha lipoic acid, coenzyme Q-10, vitamin E (with the full complement of tocotrieonols) and selenium, vitamin C and etc. After I finished reading the book (back in Oct 2011) I went right out and bought most of those antioxidants. The difference I felt in my energy levels was palpable and immediate (next day). The antioxidants helped bring down inflammation and eased the pain I felt from weaning off the steroids. I guess I was not alone - testimonials from enthused people abound on the internet.

The book goes into detail about each antioxidant and how it works by itself and also in synergy with the other 'network' antioxidants. The basic plan reads like this: in the morning: 100 mg tocotrienols, 200 mg mixed tocopherols, 30 mg CoQ10, 50 mg lipoic acid, 250 mg ester C, 400 mcg folic acid, 300 mcg biotin, 2 mg B6. In the evening: 200 mg natural alpha tocopherol, 50 mg lipoic acid, 250 mg ester C, 30 mg gingko biloba, 200 mcg selenium.

I still take the antioxidants as a preventative measure against recurrence of my autoimmune illness. And on particularly stressful days, I double up on the ALA.

I hope you will give the Packer Plan a try, particularly if you are plagued by autoimmune illness. It won't hurt you, you have nothing to lose, and the antioxidants can be found reasonably priced most anywhere. I've found the Swanson brand to be cheap, good, and favorably reviewed, so that's what I have been buying. But there are many other brands that you could try. Just try it! Would love to know how it worked for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave a comment or ask a question!