Monday, February 4, 2013

Review of the Green Star Juicer: Fresh Raw Unheated Juice a Worthwhile Investment

I've owned two Green Star Juicers in my lifetime. I bought my first one in Malaysia 15 years ago (back then it went by the name Green Power). And I bought my second one in the US eight years ago. They both still work great. True workhorses.



I did a lot of comparison shopping prior buying. I knew, from my previously experiences with centrifugal juicers, exactly what I did not want. 

I didn't want a centrifugal juicer because: 
  • These juicers heat up quickly and in turn, 'cook' the juice. 
  • The juicing action is 'violent' - the fruit/veg is shredded on a grater and hurled against the sides of the sieve/filter then centrifuged at speeds approaching Mach 4 to get the juice out. 
  • Centrifugal juicers don't do a good job with leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage, wheat grass.
  • The semi-cooked juice oxidizes/turns brown super quick and can't keep longer than 30 minutes. (Well you could, but it would just look and taste nasty, plus not do you much good).
  • There is typically a fair amount of wastage (wet pulp) as the centrifugal juicers aren't efficient in extracting all the juice.
  • Most centrifugal juicers don't allow for you to juice continuously - when the pulp holding container is full, you'll need to stop juicing, open it up and empty the pulp out before you can juice some more.
  • Clean up is a real drag - I don't like scrubbing the filter. At all. It takes forever.

The Green Star juicer is everything that the centrifugal juicers are not. 

Twin Gears
The 'twin gear' that is the heart of this very cool contraption, gently 'triturates' / 'masticates' (i.e., cuts into teeny pieces) the fruit/veg that are fed into it, at a slow speed of 100 rpm. The pulp passes into a screw press capped with a filter/sieve, which presses the juice out through the filter while the dry pulp exits at the end. This has a few pretty awesome results:
  • The juice stays unheated, because the motor and gears don't get hot.
  • The juicing action is gentle, and the resulting juice doesn't oxidize thus keeps longer. (I keep in airtight single serve glass jars for up to three days, and only need to juice twice a week).
  • The Green Star excels with leafy vegetables. I feed them down the chute and once they hit the twin gears, they get pulled right in. 
  • The pulp comes out DRY. That means more juice in my tummy. And more savings, especially since I juice all organic veg/fruit.
  • I can keep juicing till the cows come home, since the pulp exits at the end and the juice comes out direct into my jug. 
  • Clean up is a snap. Disassembling and rinsing and scrubbing takes two minutes or less. I swear!
Fruit and veg feed into chute, dry pulp comes out the end, yummy juice goes into the jug!


Why buy a Green Star Juicer?

The Green Star gives the best value for money for what it does. At $600+, it's definitely more expensive than most centrifugal juicers, but not too far off the top-end ones like Breville, Tribest and Omega. (Compare prices online at Amazon). But if you want to be able to juice vegetables, want to maximize juice extraction of your organic produce, don't want to waste too much time cleaning up or juicing every single day, yet want fresh juice on hand every day, then the Green Star is well worth it.

Buying a Green Star Juicer is buying into a Lifestyle of delicious, raw life-giving juice, for life hehe. 

Organic celery, green apple, pineapple, carrot and lemon juice. 

Of course, this is merely my opinion :D

What's your favorite juicer and why? Please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave a comment or ask a question!