Monday, May 3, 2010

Good book for adrenal fatigue

The best book I've read so far on understanding adrenal function and recovering from adrenal fatigue is "Adrenal Fatigue: the 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by
James L. Wilson, Johnathan V. Wright.

In a nutshell this is a lay-person format, reader-friendly book written by a REAL doctor who specializes in treating folks with adrenal insufficiency. It gives case studies that you would be surprised may read like your own life, and step-by-step guidance on what lifestyle changes are needed to restore the functioning and health of your adrenal glands. For those who are looking to wean off steroids such as hydrocortisone, prednisone and other corticosteroids, this book is going to be a huge help. I came across this book only after successfully weaning off myself after years of self-guinea-pigging. Listed in the book are many of the lifestyle changes that I myself learnt through trial and error. So spare yourself re-inventing the wheel and just read this!




xo Gracie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, how do you know when your body is ready to taper off hydrocortisone? Are there medical tests? If so, what are they? I've titrated up to 25mg per day for the last 4-5 months. The medication has done wonders for my health to date but b/c of the ever present risk of adrenal crisis and fear that my adrenals will never work again, making me dependent on a pill for life, I definitely want to be off them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, thanks for your question - good question! You are definitely right to be concerned about developing dependency on the steroids and adrenal fatigue resulting from long term steroid use. Whether you are able to wean off the steroid may depend on what condition/illness you have. I'd say, once your symptoms have subsided (which they often do quite quickly and 'miraculously' with steroids), you could attempt to reduce the steroid dosage.

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave a comment or ask a question!