Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reminiscing: Lessons Learnt Weaning off Steroids

Hello there! It's been a while since I updated this blog. I've been busy managing my illness while dabbling in Triathlons (see my other blog Grace's Tribulations).

I want to thank all of you who have written in, shared your experiences, asked questions and encouraged me these past few years. I received many requests for the 'Pulse and Stretch Protocol' (the Protocol), which I finally got down to posting this year. I continue to recommend (very highly) Dr James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome  (my Review HERE) to all my readers and from feedback received from various ones of you, this book is the goods!

One thing I've somewhat come to terms with is that my autoimmune illness, Henoch Schonlein Purpura, is something that I may have to manage for the rest of my life. However, I absolutely believe this can be done without steroids.

I actually thought myself 'cured' of HSP in 2007 so it crushed me when I relapsed (under extraordinary stress) in 2009. I had to go back on hydrocortisone and this time found it impossible to wean off, despite my best efforts adhering to the Protocol. I never gave up but it was rough. My lowest point was the winter of Dec 2009, sick as a dog, bloated with steroids, chilled and depressed. In desperation, to escape the cold, I went down south to Florida where I camped out for three months in the Everglades! An unforseen turn of events saw me back in Malaysia from July 2010 where I continued trying to wean off the hydrocortisone.

It is now 2012, and I am thrilled to report that this is day 37 Steroid Free. Not only that, I have abs (See pic below)! Not quite a six pack yet, but my point is that I am in the best physical shape I've been in my 36 years on this Planet. What's more, I may at last, actually, really, be on my way to getting completely better! And I believe I'm much the wiser for all that I've been through.

Does the Pulse and Stretch Protocol really work? 

In my experience, YES. But other stress factors need to be addressed at the same time. Looking back at my journal, these were the biggies:
  1. Sleep. Anytime I slept less than 8 hours a night, it hurt my efforts to taper (read: Relapse)
  2. Diet. Carbs exhausted me, and so did anything fried or processed. Not keeping regular mealtimes would be a huge stress on my body.
  3. Fresh, clean air. Environmental pollutants (cigarette smoke, perfumes, any chemicals etc) were a major stress on my body (having to detoxify them).
I could not wean off until I had simultaneously taken care of those three things.

I am now living in an apartment right next to the 1600 ha Bukit Lagong Forest Reserve. The air is pristine.

I get a good 8+ hours a night, with the help of ear plugs and melatonin (I'm a very light sleeper. Plus it can be difficult to sleep when one has low levels of cortisol typical of peeps trying to wean off steroids).

My normal diet consists of raw and lightly cooked foods, very little carbs. Breakfast is four poached Omega eggs. Important: I take breakfast soon after waking. Lunch is organic salad topped with plenty of poached free range chicken (recipe here). Dinner is chicken soup with fresh pork meatballs and heaps of vegetables. At the moment I have also been supplementing with the Packer Antioxidant Regimen (see Antioxidant Miracle  by Prof Dr Lester Packer) and feel it is helpful. Also, since I have been working out at least an hour daily, I have found that my body handles carbs (e.g. honey, rice) if eaten immediately after exercising.

I'll wrap up here, but will be posting monthly updates (here or on one of my other blogs) so stay tuned and keep those questions/comments coming!


A click on any ad below this post will put a few cents in my pocket, from the advertisers. Thanks for supporting my blog!

xo Grace




2 comments:

  1. Hello Gracie

    I have been trying to wean off hydrocortisone for a while. I got down to 15mgs.of HC, caught the flu from my hubby and went back up 20 mgs, I am waiting to get well again to wean. I am interested in the stretch and pulse method, but I can't see the 2 words yoy have to type in and not certain this is safe to do. Please advise on the safety of purchasing the stretch and pulse method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there thanks for your question! Many readers have donated through Paypal for the Protocol and I will email the PDF to your email address after receiving notice from PayPal of your donation. If you are familiar with PayPal you'll know it is a secure method of payment but let me know if you feel uncomfortable using it. My email is gracetabithalim@gmail.com

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do take a moment to leave a comment or ask a question!